Professional bodybuilders usually “sit” on steroids for more than a few years without a break. The thing is that they must always be ready for various championships, be in shape for all kinds of performances and photography. Numerous amateur bodybuilders, athletes from other sports are in a similar situation. Their entire program is too saturated to allow themselves a break for rest. Because their success depends on the “top form”, steroids should be unconditionally taken all year round. However, it also happens that an athlete wants to stop taking steroids. The reasons for this are very different. … One of the main, of course, various health problems. Some stop out of habit because heard that after 12 weeks there should be a break in the use of steroids. Others – due to limited financial opportunities or before doping control. And almost all athletes in this case are in a panic, the weeks following the “cancellation” of the week are felt with a mixed feeling, because athletes often don’t know what awaits them, but those who already had some experience of “abstinence” (sometimes negative) know all too well that the same thing will happen again. And these fears are justified, because when abandoning steroids, most athletes get the classic symptoms of interruption of the steroid “course”, such as weight loss, decreased strength, increased fat accumulation, etc.
For some, this leads to depression, unwillingness to exercise. Why? Yes, it’s simple – the athlete enters the catabolic phase. During the administration of the drugs, the steroid molecules block the cortisol receptors, due to which the cortisol produced by the adrenal glands cannot contact them and for the most part remains inactive. The body reacts to this by producing more cortisol receptors so that cortisol molecules in the blood in large numbers can finally fulfill their task. And it’s not so bad if the athlete takes steroids all the time. But as soon as steroids are stopped, the receptors again become free for cortisol molecules.
They rush to the receptors with lightning speed, forming the “molecule-receptor” complex. And they carry the athlete’s muscle cell with completely unpleasant information: the breakdown of amino acids. They (amino acids) leave the muscle cell, enter the bloodstream, where they are used as an energy substrate. What happens next is listed in other paragraphs.
Thus, the athlete’s second goal, along with increasing testosterone production, is to reduce the level of cortisol to be tolerated. And this is possible with appropriate knowledge. How? A meaningful step-by-step transition to stop taking steroids will be described below. However, I would like to emphasize that this information cannot serve as a guarantee that the athlete will not lose any of what has been achieved.
- It is important that the athlete pre-determines for himself when he will take a break in taking medications in order to prepare meaningfully for this. This means the timely acquisition of the necessary supportive drugs, as well as the search for the right psychological attitude towards a possible drop in volumes and strength.
- Work on day “X” slowly and systematically. In approximately 4 weeks, the athlete should reduce the intake of highly androgenic steroids. If tablets are taken, for example, Dianabol or Anapolon, their number is slowly and systematically reduced within 14 days, so that the intake of tablets, mainly androgenic steroids, is stopped exactly 2 weeks before day “X”. Taking injectable androgenic steroids such as Testosterone or Parabolan reduce the dose of injections to zero within 4 weeks, so that their intake ends only on day “X”. Soft oral steroids such as Primobolan, Winstrol, Oxandrolone, etc., slowly and systematically begin to contract 14 days before day “X”, until after 2 weeks their intake will be reduced to zero. Two more “soft” injectable steroids such as Deca-Durabolin, Primobolan, Winstrol are enough if the dose a week before the end of taking steroids is halved.
- Avoid suddenly stopping all steroids at once. Because of this, the body abruptly enters the catabolic phase. Cortisol receptors are released, and in combination with low testosterone levels, this leads to significant loss of strength and “mass”, the accumulation of fat and water, and frequent gynecomastia.
Because a suddenly reduced level of androgens shifts the ratio in favor of estrogens, as a result of which the latter become dominant in the male body. At the same time, the reluctance to train the lack of sexual interest, as well as the terrible mental state of many athletes, are striking. If you are forced to abandon steroids for health reasons, then never stop taking all the drugs suddenly and immediately.
- If the athlete has not yet taken antiestrogens, he should begin to take them in the last week of the gradual discontinuation of steroids and apply them for the next three weeks every day. Athletes who have been taking them for weeks prior to day X continue to take them for the indicated time (three consecutive weeks). A daily combination of 20-40 mg of Nolvadex and 25-50 mg of Proviron is enough. At the same time, the athlete does not have an overabundance of estrogen, an important factor that should be paid attention to during the final intake of stimulants such as HGG, HGG often itself increases the level of estrogen in the blood.
The available Proviron also additionally helps to restore the level of androgens, so that the ratio of androgens-estrogens is shifted towards the former.
The possibility of a reverse situation as the use of an antiestrogen combination is discontinued is significantly reduced if Proviron is included in it.
- To increase the production of endogenous testosterone, an athlete takes, on the one hand, CGT, which directly and quickly stimulates testicular germ cells, as well as Clomid, which has a more complete effect on the hypothalamus-pituitary-testes arch, bringing it back into action, but for a longer period of time. Reception of HGT begins in the last weeks of the termination of reception of steroids. In this case, the athlete administers 3 injections of 5000 units every three days. In conclusion, another 3 injections of 5000 units every 5 days. After 3 injections of HCG, Clomid administration begins, as its gonadostimulating effect is better manifested with a pre-activated enhanced action of the testicles.
Clomid is used for two weeks daily, 2 tablets of 50 mg per week and 1 tablet of 50 mg per day for the second week of its administration.
Paragraph 5, of course, does not apply to women.
- This information is useful if the athlete was unable to avoid elevated levels of cortisol.
The drug, which carries a vigorous anti-catabolic effect, is Clenbuterol. It successfully blocks cortisol receptors. So the athlete retains most of the strength and muscle mass built on steroids. Because reception of Clenbuterol usually begins directly at the end of the steroid course, it continues for another 8-10 weeks ( see Clenbuterol ).
Another drug that also has an anti-catabolic effect, but less powerful than Clenbuterol, is Ephedrine .
Also a suitable drug in this situation is a medicine used in conventional medicine to treat Cushing’s syndrome (hyperfunction of the adrenal cortex), in which the body produces too much cortisol – Citadren. Because it greatly lowers the level of cortisol, athletes use it as the steroid course ends ( see Citadren ).
Some athletes use thyroid hormones in this phase because they have small doses with a short application of them anabolic action. The introduction of growth hormone or medications that stimulate its release such as clonidine or L-Dopa makes little sense, because these agents do not have a strong anti-catabolic effect. You should not flatter yourself with the idea of taking ornithine and arginine, as they are completely ineffective.
Remember that medicated muscles can be preserved.
- Adapt nutrition to changing circumstances. At the end of steroids, the metabolism returns to normal. This means that the athlete must reduce the daily number of calories for several days.
But protein intake remains at a high level – at least 3 grams per 1 kg of body weight per day.
- Reduce training. Avoid the same program as when taking steroids, otherwise the catabolic state will worsen. In no case should an athlete come to the idea of preserving muscles by strengthening training in relation to their volume and intensity, as this approach has an extremely negative effect. Limit yourself to using basic exercises, train each muscle once a week and try to maintain strength. Train no more than 3-4 times a week with a training limit of 60-75 minutes. Practice has repeatedly shown that it is possible to maintain the accumulated strength and mass in the presence of will and discipline.
In addition to the use of steroids, a successful transition between the “courses” is the only opportunity for continuous improvement. Often you need to take a step back, then to be able to take 2 steps forward. This is quite normal, and therefore you can’t get anywhere. Most can build muscle with steroids, but only a few can maintain results. A correctly conducted “phase-out” in combination with a meaningful transition time helps maintain what has been achieved and create the basis for further successful steroid use.